Who doesn’t love a good cupcake? They’re definitely super trendy right now – as demonstrated by all of the boutique cupcake bakeries popping up. At any rate, we are huge fans of cupcakes.
Snickers Cupcakes, Cookie Dough Cupcakes, Mint Chocolate Cupcakes top my list. But I may have a new favorite….these Monster Cookie Cupcakes.
I grew up on my mom’s monster cookies. Mind you; my mom always (and still does) made sure that we ate healthy meals. But; she also has a sweet tooth. She will wake up a 2am and go down to the kitchen and eat half a cookie; or cut a small sliver from a full pan of bars, brownies, cake; etc. That being said, she would once in a while argue that a monster cookie; with all the oatmeal and peanut butter was a “healthy breakfast.” Those were great breakfasts.
They contain peanut butter; I LOVE peanut butter. You know the old wive’s tale that eating peanut butter will cure hiccups? When I have hiccups, my go-to is peanut butter. I’ve been accused of just eating it, with no care of what happen to my hiccups. I plead the fifth….
The frosting….oh my; the frosting. It’s monster cookie dough batter on top of a cupcake. I mean……
*Makes 12 cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
For the Cookie Dough Frosting:
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened (don’t use reduced fat or fat free!)
- 1/2 c. butter, softened
- 1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
- 1- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 c. oats
- 3/4 bag plain mini M&Ms
- 3/4 cup mini or regular semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Use a hand or stand mixer to whisk together all of the cupcake ingredients except for the chocolate chips. Then, stir in the chocolate chips with a spoon or spatula.
- Fill each cupcake liner about 2/3 full of batter. Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, use a stand mixer dough paddle to beat together the cream cheese, butter, and peanut butter until smooth.
- Mix in the brown sugar, flour, vanilla, and oats.
- Mix in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time (1 and 1/2 cups worked out best for me).
- Finally add the M&Ms and Chocolate chips, mix well.
- Use a large cookie scoop or ice cream scoop to scoop out the cookie dough onto the completely cooled cupcakes.
I do have to warn you – I doubled both the cupcake and frosting recipes to make 24 cupcakes; and I had an ample amount of frosting left. You could likely double the cupcake batter, and use the one recipe of frosting. Enjoy!