I’ve been fighting off a cold, so I was in the mood for soup. This isn’t exactly what I would consider a close cousin to Chicken Noodle Soup, but when you’re sick, it’s a great comforting soup. When you’re not sick….it’s just a delicious, tasty soup. To me, it’s a win-win. And then there’s barbecued shrimp. I made a major error….I underestimated the amount of shrimp we had on hand. 7 little (jumbo) shrimp. 7. Who left only 7 shrimp in the bag? That might of been me…it may not have been. The jury is still out.At any rate, some delicious, juicy shrimp, and some nice, crispy apple wood smoked bacon on top….Amazing.
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 cup of diced potatoes
- 4 cups of fresh corn cut off the cob (frozen works well, also)
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1/2 pound of raw peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- salt & pepper
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the bacon slices and cook until crispy and golden brown. Remove bacon and let drain on a paper towel. Add onions and peppers to the pot with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute. Whisk in the flour, cooking for 1-2 minutes or until flour becomes golden in color and smells a bit nutty. Add chicken stock, potatoes, and corn. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- While soup is simmering (or before or after or whenever is convenient for you), heat your grill on the highest setting. You could also use a saute pan on medium high heat. Season shrimp with salt and pepper, brush with a thin layer or barbecue sauce, then cook for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from grill and toss with remaining barbecue sauce.
- Once soup has slightly thickened and the potatoes have started to break down, stir in milk and cream. Add 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, then season according to your tastes. Serve in bowls topped with the crumbled bacon and shrimp. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to one week.